5.0 Stars - 191 Reviews

Is A Heating Engineer The Same As A Gas Engineer?

masked technician servicing an hot-water heater

If you’ve encountered an issue with your central heating, you might be wondering whether you should call a heating engineer or a gas engineer. It’s easy to confuse the two, but there is a difference. They can also overlap if someone is qualified to carry out both types of work. Read on to find out more about what makes these disciplines unique.

Gas Engineers

A gas engineer will be able to work with appliances that are fuelled by gas. They need to be registered for each of their services with the Gas Safe Register in order to legally carry out their job. This certification ensures that they have the correct knowledge and skills to work with gas safely. A gas engineer will have an ID card to prove that they’re registered. They will also be listed on the Gas Safe website. This registration must be renewed annually, so don’t get caught out by a tradesman whose Gas Safe card is out of date.

blonde lady on phone perplexed by boiler heater
Gloved hand turning gas boiler setting to high

Heating Engineers

A heating engineer can provide all the same services as a gas engineer if they are Gas Safe Registered. However, if they are not, they can only carry out work on the components that aren’t part of the gas system.

There are a lot of parts that non-Gas Safe heating engineers can work with. Heat pumps, thermostats, power showers, water heaters and electric boilers can all be serviced by them. A heating engineer can install a gas boiler, so long as they don’t carry out the gas work and commissioning. They’re also able to carry out cleaning services such as powerflushing, which ensures that your heating system is working efficiently.

Gas Registered Heating Engineers

Many heating engineers will be Gas Safe registered, so they can perform all services related to central heating systems. However, it’s important to check exactly what gas products they’re licensed to work with.

The Gas Safe Register will have a record of what training the engineer has undertaken. If you discover that the person you’ve chosen to provide your boiler services is only qualified to carry out work on gas stoves, they shouldn’t go anywhere near your boiler. It’s very important that your heating engineer is qualified and registered correctly, so they can perform the work safely.

gas safe register icon

If You Need A Gas Safe Heating Engineer, Call Gaslec

Our team are all fully qualified and Gas Safe Registered. We can carry out all manner of central heating and gas services, including boiler repairs, gas appliance installations, gas fire installations and gas safety certificates. Give us a call today if you require any of our services, or if you’d like to find out more.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website: Find out more.